Adventure sports, alias extreme sports, are sports that involve a prodigiousness of inherent danger, a high degree of skill and utilization of motion to provide an exciting “rush” to the participant. While there is no universal consensus on exactly which sports are “extreme,” certain sports undoubtedly fall into this category.
Key career skills which can be enhanced with the help of Adventure Sports:
- Project management
- Presentation skills
- Communication skills
- Coaching and training skills
- Teamwork and Self-management skills
Adventure Sports and Skill Enhancement
- Rappelling – Rappelling is a specialized climbing technique that is used to descend from mountains and cliffs by making a controlled slide down a fixed rope. It gives confidence and sense of accomplishment. It also acts as a confidence booster for new troops. People who are afraid of heights and have a fear of falling learn to overcome or work though their fears through repetitive rappelling exercises. It is also ideal for strength building and hones the sense of awareness as well as hand-eye coordination.
- High rope Traversing: Ropes challenge courses can be seen as the ultimate group or team challenge. Ropes traversing are a horizontal challenge across the river. It encourages and facilitates group development. Uses the group’s creativity, leadership, trust and encouragement. Improves group communication. Allows every person to discover new strengths and a greater, more positive sense of self. Helps in developing time management skills. Improves delegation skills.
- Trekking and Mountaineering skills – Inclusive of a visit to the remote areas, lodging in tents and minimal accommodation. Challenging one’s perseverance, strengthening the hands and feet’s to reach a summit. Develops effective navigation skills among the participant. Walking uphill will bring your heart closer to the target, aerobic rate, while walking downhill will give your heart rate a chance to recover, similar to those ebb and flow whereabouts facing the business culture. And unlike other activities or sports, it is a pursuit that allows people to determine their own limitations. Patience is required to do a trek in a group, because you can’t leave any one alone, we have to move with team. The participant learns to companionate by Sharing (Water/Food/ clothes) etc. They learn that being a good follower is also an important skill necessary for the business world since they need to follow the guide/Instructor, because he is the one who lead.
- Rock Climbing – Rock climbing is an activity in which participants climb up, down or across natural rock formations or artificial rock walls. The goal is to reach the summit of a formation or the endpoint of a pre-defined route without falling. Rock climbing competitions have objectives of completing the route in the quickest possible time or the farthest along an increasingly difficult route. The participant learns to lead, manage the group, work efficiently in a given frame of time, use tactics to attain the objective in the most convenient manner.
Thus, adventure sports helps inculcate rational thinking and scientific temper among participants , helps develop faith in oneself, have a positive attitude, be self-reliant, learn from the mistakes and failures, brings flexibility, develops problem solving skills, develops planning and organizational skills, observation, renunciation and service.
Adventure Tourism Zones & Destinations in India
India is one of the solitary lands possessing diverse geographical features in its kitty. All these distinct badges of beauty are accessible in various regions that are the best site for adventure tourism in India. The snow-capped mountainous region of Great Himalayas is an ideal zone for adventure tourism in our country. Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttaranchal, Sikkim, Upper fringes of West Bengal, are all part of Himalayan mountainous region that are the finest zones of adventure tourism. Apart from Himalayas, Goan beaches, desert area of Rajasthan, Western Ghats and Eastern ghats of South India, and various wildlife sanctuaries and national parks are the excellent zones for adventure tourism in India. The country has ample of adventure tourism destinations. Some of the popular destinations that are brim with adventure enthusiasts throughout the year are Leh-Ladakh, Zanskar Valley, Kargil and Suru valley, Manali and Kullu valley, Lahual and Spiti27 valley, Dharamshala and Kangra valley, Chamba valley, Kinnaur and Sangla valley, Rishikesh, Garhwal and Kumaon valley, Darjeeling. Even there are some wildlife sanctuaries and national parks such as Jim Corbett National Park, Gir National Park, Ranthambore National Park, Kaziranga National Park which are popular among the tourists for wildlife safaris and nature walks.
Popular Adventure activities in India
Rappelling | Trekking | Chimney | Climbing
Whitewater Rafting | Scuba Diving | Wave surfing
Hand Gliding | Micro light Flight | Parasailing
Edited By : Pallavi Nigam